Posts for tag: tmj
How your dentist in Chehalis can help your jaw pain
Jaw pain can be caused by many different issues and you need the services of an expert to help you get relief. Dr. Michael White in Chehalis, WA, wants to share the facts about the causes of jaw pain.
When your jaw hurts, the pain can radiate to other areas of your face and head. You can lose your ability to concentrate and enjoy the activities of your life.
Jaw pain can be caused by grinding and clenching your teeth while you sleep. The excessive force can result in soreness of the jaw and facial muscles and extreme wear-and-tear on your teeth. The treatment for grinding and clenching is to wear a custom-fit nightguard that relaxes your jaws and protects your teeth.
One of the most common causes of severe jaw pain is the improper function of your temporomandibular joint, also known as the TMJ. The TMJ is a unique joint that slides like a hinge, to open and close your jaw. The joint can be easily displaced by trauma or other causes, resulting in friction on the joint as it moves. Constant friction wears down the joint and inflames the tissue around it, causing jaw pain.
You may have pain from your TMJ if you experience:
- Chronic, aching pain in your face and near your ears
- Jaw pain that never goes away
- Jaw pain while you are chewing
- A popping or clicking sound when you open and close your mouth
- A locking jaw when you open and close your mouth
You can try moist heat or ice application to your face and jaws to relieve pain. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medications may also help. Remember to avoid chewing gum and sticky foods to limit stress on your jaws.
Dr. White offers several effective treatments for jaw pain, including:
- Prescription strength muscle relaxants and pain medications
- Corticosteroid injections to reduce inflammation around the joint
- Custom-fit splints or bite guards
- Physical therapy exercises
- Icing and moist heat therapy
- Flushing around the joint
Don’t let jaw pain keep you from living your life. Take control and call Dr. White in Chehalis, WA, for relief from your symptoms. Call today and feel better!