Posts for category: Cosmetic Dentistry
Dental crowns are an effective way to help improve your smile and bring back your confidence. It is a professional procedure undertaken by your dentist and could take several weeks to complete, but it is worth it if you are looking at a permanent fix. Dr. Michael White, your Dentist in Chehalis, WA, may be your best choice for dental crowns!
What are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are small dental 'caps' that cover the tooth to improve or replace the damaged/missing tooth. They can also provide a protective mechanism by covering a damaged tooth, or a tooth that is fragile and subject to breaking or cracking. Crowns can be made of porcelain, ceramic, or cheaper options like silver. Metal is usually used for the back teeth since it is more durable, however, ceramic and/or porcelain is used for the front teeth for cosmetic reasons.
What is the procedure for Dental Crowns?
Over the course of a few visits, Dr. Michael White your dentist in Chehalis, WA, will first do general teeth cleaning and inspect the tooth or teeth that may receive the dental crown treatment. If appropriate for a dental crown, your dentist will then file the tooth to make it smaller and better for the dental crown to fit around it. Depending on how damaged the initial tooth is, your dentist may opt for a tooth filling if there is too much damage in order for the crown to hold better. Sometimes, your dentist may have to remove the tooth entirely and opt for a dental implant instead.
Your dentist will then make a mold of the tooth so that the shape is clear. After sending it back to the lab, the lab will then make a perfect fit dental crown and send it back to your dentist, where it will be fitted into your mouth. During the waiting process, your dentist may give you a temporary crown until the lab finishes completing the original one.
What are the benefits of Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns provide a permanent and long-term fix for damaged and/or broken teeth, lasting anywhere between 5 to 15 years if taken care of well. Below are some advantages and benefits of receiving dental crowns:
- Replacing missing teeth
- Replacing damaged teeth
- Covering discolored teeth
- Repairing broken teeth
- Enhancing and improving your smile
- Fixing an irregular bite
If dental crowns are an option for your teeth, please consult Dr. Michael White, your dentist in Chehalis, WA, to plan out the best plan for your benefit. Don't be afraid to gain back your bright and happy smile! Call and schedule your next visit at (360) 748-0168.
When you're unhappy with the appearance of your smile, veneers offer a simple solution. They're just one of the cosmetic dentistry services and treatments provided by your Chehalis, WA, dentist, Dr. Michael White.
What veneers can do for your smile
Porcelain or plastic veneers are designed to hide flaws and minor damage. The thin, tooth-shaped shells are as thin as a fingernail yet are very effective in concealing imperfections. Veneers are attached to the fronts of your teeth with dental cement and don't require any major changes to your teeth. In fact, your dentist may only need to remove a tiny amount of tooth enamel before you receive your restorations.
Veneers can be a good option if:
- You want a natural-looking restoration: Veneers are made from an impression of your mouth to ensure that they fit your teeth perfectly.
- You have noticeable damage: Do you have a chip or shallow crack in a tooth? Veneers cover minor damage, transforming the appearance of your teeth.
- You have a few smile flaws: Veneers hide uneven tooth surfaces and pits and bumps on your tooth enamel. Do you have a discolored tooth? During your visit to the Chehalis dental office, your dentist will choose a veneer shade that matches the color of nearby teeth.
- You don't like the gap between your front teeth: Although large gaps may require orthodontic treatment, slight gaps can be easily hidden with veneer.
- An oddly shaped tooth ruins the symmetry of your smile: Crooked, pointed, twisted or unusually shaped teeth certainly stand out in your smile. Fortunately, adding a veneer to a problem tooth will change its appearance completely.
- You have short teeth: Veneers also offer the ideal solution for short teeth. Whether your teeth have always been short or have shortened due to night-time grinding, veneers can improve your smile. (If grinding or clenching your teeth while you sleep is the cause of the problem, your dentist may recommend a nightguard. The guard is worn over your teeth while you sleep and reduces the risk of damage to your veneers and your teeth.)
Upgrade your smile with veneers! Call your dentist in Chehalis, WA, Dr. Michael White, at (360) 748-0168.